Friday, April 29, 2011

Spotlight on Chad Hallblade and Guy C. Landgraf Jr.

By Maureen Mulhern, Caggio Blog Contributor
April 2011 • Milwaukee, Wisconsin


This month's Q+A highlights photographer Chad Hallblade and painter Guy C. Landgraf Jr., exhibiting artists at Caggio for April/May. The show opens toda
y (April 29th - May 30th), featuring Hallblade's Milwaukee-based photography and Landgraf's abstract works on paper. In this conversation, I gained insight into each artist's distinct personality, creative process and artistic pursuits. Premiering tonight at Caggio.

Q: What is the theme behind this body of work?


Chad: Like much of my work, the images were shot in industrial settings. I usually shoot in these areas when no one’s around and I can take my time a
nd make thoughtful photographs. Most of my images are composed to deny linear perspective, focusing instead on shapes and planes. This way of shooting has the effect of flattening out the picture.

Guy: The theme would be about looking and being in the moment of the work.


Q: Talk a little about your connection to or feelings about Milwaukee; How does location influence your work?


Chad: Most of my work is shot in Milwaukee, but it isn’t really about the city. I guess that I borrow from the city to make art. I grab bits a
nd pieces, details of the city to make photographs.

Guy: Milwaukee is a great place to work and create. It has a good developing art community. I believe location has a strong influence on an individual’s work. What they see day today, or what they pay attention to, it all goes into the work somehow. It does for me anyhow.

Q: What is the significance of your chosen subject matter?


Chad: There may be no significance other than it’s
what I like to look at. I choose my subject matter for it’s color, tonal qualities, and variety of shapes.

Guy: It’s inherent in the objectness of the work. It’s an abstraction from something tangible, real, or maybe once seen or reminded of.


Q: How do you create balance between marketing your work vs
. the day-to-day process of creating art?

Chad: I have very little time for it. [
Marketing] I more or less just pick my spots for showing. As far as making art or shooting photos, I’m not one of those people who constantly has a camera in hand. I shoot fairly often, but not necessarily with the intention of making art. When I feel like I’ve got some thoughts lined up that might lead me to making strong photographs, then I grab my old film camera and tripod and head out the door.

Guy: It’s a tight rope. You just do it or you don’t.


G. Landgraf

Q: Which artists influence you and who do you admire?

Chad: I like Modernist abstract painting, from Cubism to Abstract Expressionism. I think about [Piet] Mondrian quite a bit with his geometric compositions, Richard Diebenkorn was always a favorite, as well as [Willem] de Kooning. As far as photographers, Lee Friedlander was a big influence on me when I first started shooting. His wa
y of photographing walked the line between representation and abstraction. He was the first photographer I saw that really worked that way. I still really enjoy looking at his work. I spend a good deal of time looking at photography on the internet. There are a number of excellent blogs out there, highlighting contemporary fine art photography.

Guy: It’s easy to enjoy all art history, but painter’s like: Newman, Rothko, Duchamp, Giacometti, Marden, Twombly have always struck a chord. Recently, I’ve been interested in Japanese painting.


Q: What two words would you use to describe your point of view?


Chad: Flat and subtle.


Guy: I’m making something with a visual language. But a viewers point of view may be that of stepping outside of a place or thing and noticing that thing.

C. Hallblade

Q: Is there a particular piece in this body of work that you feel best defines your overarching theme?

Chad: I think that the Untitled photograph of the wall with the rectangular cut out is a good illustration of what I try to do with my photographs. In it, I’ve lined up a wall so as to create an ambiguous space. All areas of the picture have an equal level of focus, flattening out the image, putting the concentration on shapes and color.

Guy: Not really. I’m not that interested in a theme with my work. There is no narrative. I hope they all do their job of bringing my interests together.

Q: Talk about the content and back-story coming up with this collection. What led you to pursue it?

Chad: There isn’t really any kind of a back-story to what I do. I decided a while ago that I wanted to be an artist. Photography has come to be my chosen medium. When I make art I go out into the world and look around for stuff I can use to make work that I find interesting.

Guy: This paper has been around since 1998 or something, I’ve always kept it around in my studio(s). So I pulled it out one day and started looking at it again. I had some ink as well.

G. Landgraf

Q: If you had to describe your work in terms of mood, what is the first word that comes to mind. Can you talk specifically about your methodology?

Chad: I like to shoot in quiet places that allow me the o
pportunity to think and explore. I would like to think that this translates into subtle images that are thoughtful and show a degree of intelligence.

Guy: Mysterious. I set up a number of rules that I followed, paper orientation, chosen ink, brush. There were constants that remained.

Q: Technique is individual to each artist. Can you share a little about your techniques and how they play off your concepts?


Chad: I shoot with the intention of flattening my ima
ges out. I like my work to walk the line between abstraction and representation.

Guy: My technique is always followed by my touch and craft that I put into something. I’m interested in craft as a fine manipulation of materials.


C. Hallblade

Q: In terms of pace, how do you approach the creative process? Talk a little about your process.

Chad: My process involves walking around and observing my surroundings. I spend a lot of time in industrial areas and working class neighborhoods. These places present me with colors, shapes, and textures I can use to make strong compositions.

Guy: Before I make something I make decisions about what I’m doing, and how I’m going to do it. Then, it’s a matter of just bringing it all together. Getting into the studio is most important part.


Q: What other creative outlets inspire you?


Chad: I am a bit of a music junkie. I enjoy looking at paintings.


Guy: Looking at art where ever I can. Music can be a great motivator too. Just looking at maybe a moment of some great shape or color. It can be powerful.


Q: What path do you see your career taking?
How do you define success?

Chad: Not sure, ask me in a few years.


Guy: I’m always interested in making more and showing more. I want to push that along. Material choices may vary along the way but within a certain realm of what I want people to see; [Success is] Doing what makes you happy and feeling fulfilled.

No comments:

Post a Comment